Friday, January 27, 2006

Neel Ighan

Neil has gone native.

That's how his name was spelled on the board before Surgery.

It is Saturday morning, around 7am. Neil has been sleeping on and off since he was back in the room. I read for him all of your comments and he really enjoyed them. They buoyed up his spirits. He's reporting that he is sore (and tired of being in bed). Supposedly he will actually be up and walking today. That is hard to believe but we'll see.

To catch up on some of the questions/requests:
I have been staying at the hospital (last night was our second night). Tonight I'll be moving to the Hotel Savera. I'll still spend the majority of my time here but it should help me sleep better. With nurses coming in and out all night it is hard to sleep soundly. I'll snap more photos of the outside world. So far I can report not having seen any American fast food outlet. And yes, there is a place where there aren't Starbucks on every corner. I read in the paper the announcement that Starbuck's will just now begin entering India. Too late for me. Not suprisingly, this is a company that favors tea over coffee. At 4 pm - tea time - I order my black coffee. Heresy!

Chennai isn't as well known for its IT companies as Bangalore or Hyderabad but they are here. The interesting thing about wandering the streets is seeing a new, westernized 5 story glass building in a neighborhood of decaying buildings. Invariably, that building has a name like 'I-soft' on the front.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pete,

It always seemed ironic that you can't sleep in a hospital - too many comings and goings and wakings from a sound sleep.

I'm surprised that they didn't realize that medical tourism needed Starbucks to really make it big?!?

Have you made any contact with an IT person yet?

Neel,

Now is the time for the streaming video - your first walk down the hall. Ken said no operation video, he didn't say anything about other action shots, did he?

Ray and I went to Minh Tran Dance Company at the Myrna tonight - remembered when you were the star of stage, screen and - oh yeah, stage. We miss seeing you in action. Constance said she showed everyone your postcard!

Take care all!

Ellen

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pete and Neil,

It sounds like all is going as one would expect. I will be surprised if Neil is not up and walking soon. After my knee surgery, I walked out of the hospital. Approximately three hours later I realized how much it really hurt. I was sore for several days. I'm certain that it's not a fair comparison to Neil's surgery. The message that I'm attempting to convey is that the mind and body are capable of incredible healing. It's often our attitude and expectation that limit the tempo. Regarding the coffee, Peter, give yourself to the tea. I think that you will be amazed at its flavor and caffeine content. We are thinking of you both and sending all of our positive thoughts your way. Take care.

Dennis and Maria

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I just realized that "Neel" rhymes with "heal." A good omen. Thanks so much for your wonderful updates, Pete. Your leads are fantastic ("Is it a boy or a girl?"). And for Axel there, it's time to start thinking spring training. I'm heading to a conference in Phoenix in early March and we're hoping to catch a game. Rumor has it this is the Cubs' year. You know, it takes some effort on this Card fan's part, but I'm really hoping the Cubbies flourish. At the very least they have to take out those BORING Astros. Do you get any sports in your hospital room? Cricket anyone?

Ken

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home