Saturday, January 28, 2006

Up on Two legs



Neil's physical therapy has begun. It's amazing to me that only a day after such a difficult surgery that he can actually be out of bed (if only for a short amount of time). As you say Dennis, the body and mind are capable of some amazing feats. Tomorrow he is set to walk.

Here's Neil's day - eat, sleep, awake 5 minutes, sleep, awake 5 minutes, sleep, try to read, sleep, repeat pattern. At least I don't have to fight him for control of the remote.

I have been very impressed with the care. The doctors inspire confidence and Neil has a nurse in the room at all times. The dietician has checked in a couple of times today and, as the pictures indicate, he has a physical therapist.

Yes, Neil did get a haircut before entering the hospital. When he's feeling up to it he'll have to tell the story because apparently he gave the barber enough of a tip to send his kids to college and him into retirement.

Well, gotta go - it's tea/coffee time.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, seeing the latest photos, I have to admit that Neel looks more like Cary Grant than Axel Rose. So glad to read that CG is getting such good care. I hope you're taking good care of yourself too, Pete.

Ken

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am SO INSPIRED that I am going to the library RIGHT NOW and check out some Deepak Chopra books!

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neil,

It's wonderful to see the pictures after your surgery. I think that we all needed to see those to assure ourselves that all continues to go well. Will you be organizing "walker races" in the hospital hallway? It could be a fun way to kill some time. Maybe a relay race around the hospital? Heal well, bro.

Pete,

Thanks for the pictures and detailed report of Neil's regimen. You neglected to tell us of yours, however. With all of the sleep that he's enjoying, how are you spending your time? Also, how about some more of your observations on the country, the people, the food, et cetera. Is Chennai known for any specific art or products? What are you bringing back for Kieran?

Dennis

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm bettin' on that athlete named "Ighan" in the walker races. Always bet on the local guy--it's his home course.

K

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neel,

Is that a smile or a grimace? Either way, I'm impressed!

Heal, Neel, Heal!

Pete,

You're doing such a great job! Obviously, this side of your personality takes after the LaForges and possibly some enhancements from B and K.

Take care y'all!

Ellen

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neil,
I'm so glad to see you up and walking already, with such fine service too! Looks like a very Pucca establishment, super-deluxe as they say. I'm sending you many healing thoughts.

Patrick

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Neily, Look at you, up an about already. I like the hair cut you look very distinguished, I think Ken is on to something with the Cary Grant look a like! That look on your face...seems a bit pained which pains me, I hope you aren't in too much discomfort. Sounds like you are getting plenty of rest...part of the healing process, yea! Peter, love your updates and great sense of humor. Love Lu

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings from St. Louis!!
We have been reading the blog and really enjoying the commentary and pictures. Terry has arrived from Springfeild. We're having a nice visit and trying to stay dry!

Pete - I am so happy we are able to talk on the phone every day!!! Time is flying quickly and we can't wait to see you next week!

Neel - Nice Legs and stockings!! So glad and thankful that the surgery went well and you're up on your feet!!

Love B and K

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kieran and I are looking at the pictures. He is excited to see his daddy.

I have my laptop and was able to hook onto a wireless network.

We are off to dinner!
T & K

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home