Tuesday, January 31, 2006

On crutches


The days are starting to blur together but Neil continues to progress each day. Here he is with one of his physical therapists, Venkat. Venkat will be heading to the U.K. in September to pursue his PhD. Venkat is understandably proud of his India and its accomplishments in the IT and medical field. He quoted for us the number of engineering graduates in India, the % of Indian engineers at NASA and IBM, and the % of Indian doctors in America. He's also thinking about buying a secondhand Pentium III laptop from his neighbor for $600. That sounded too high for me. Can anyone help him out? He wants to know if he's paying too much.

The doctor appears very happy with Neil's progress. Things will start to get interesting again as we begin to prepare to leave the hospital. Neil will be checking out on Thursday and we'll head to Mamallapuram, a beach resort area about 1 1/2 hours south. Should start having some interesting pictures again.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pete,

I recently purchased a lap top for Sean from Dell for less than $600. I added software; however, it seems like Venkat is paying a premium for the used PC. I'll coordinate with Sean and we'll post additional information later. I bet you're looking forward to Mamallapuram. Will you and Neil be watching the Super Bowl?

Dennis

8:40 PM  
Blogger Peter Egan said...

Thanks Dennis for data point. I'll let Venkat know. I can't speak for Neil but I'm looking forward to the beach, even though I'll have less than two days. As for the Super Bowl, I'll be home Saturday night. Assuming that 'Jet Leg' doesn't kill me on the way back, Kieran, Becky and I will be watching it at home. For Neil's sake I hope the beach resort has better channel selection. Go Seahawks!

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pete,

Here are Sean's comments on his computer. "My Dell Inspiron 1.4g has 512 MB of memory, 40 GB, with an impressive 400 MAZ. Actually I don't know where these numbers fall on the scale of laptop capability. Allow me to confess another area in which I still feel like a rookie, computer technology. As a novice I can tell you this computer has everything I need in terms of internet access, programs, and general usability. This is a very accessible computer that I've found to be a real asset in helping with work and studying. I hope this aids you in the laptop search. If you need a more detailed assessment I am more than happy to provide it; just let me know." The cost of the computer was $581 with shipping. I'll let you and Venkat work the techie spec comparison. You're doing a great service, Pete. Our hats are off to you. Enjoy the beach, bro! Take care.

Dennis

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter will flying home on Friday night / Sat. morning so he will be in St. Louis on super Sunday. I do nor know my TV set-up yet. Most of my comments on what I will be doing are based on the new place that no one has seen. We each have our fantasy picture of the beach resort but India is teaching us to temper our enthusiasm with a head nodding motion and the words "Yes , yes well then we will be seeing ".

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home